Friday, July 22, 2016

Online dating misrepresentation: or, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Vancouver edition...

Why do people lie online?

I'm starting to feel as though I may be part of a floundering minority: the confused few who tell the truth in the online world(s).

For the 2nd time in 5 or so months I had a first date with a man who proved not to be the man in the photo I'd been conversing with. Now, I'm used to men using old photos of themselves…prior to weight gain or hair loss, but there's a huge difference between wishful thinking and blatant falsification.  The most interesting thing in both instances is that they weren't using photos of guys who resembled them at all, but neither photo was actually any better looking than the actual individual who showed up. I find this REALLY confusing and frustrating, anyone else with me on this??



Case 1: The guy I was talking to for a couple of weeks was sweet, interesting, polite, and while he wasn't anything to write home about, I thought that I'd meet up with him and see how it went. The photo on his profile was a tall, lanky, moustached hipster type, fair skinned with brown hair. The fellow who showed up at the restaurant was a middling height, patchy beard bearing, stocky, bespectacled Hispanic man. He was here from El Salvador working with Telus, learning new techniques for his company which Telus outsources work to. As nice as he was, and as well as conversation flowed (a) there was no spark on my end, and (b) he essentially started off our entire interaction with a lie.  I never addressed it, but I never saw him again. I was totally flabbergasted, as I'd never encountered such a blatant bait and switch before.

Case 2: A man started messaging me about a week and a half ago, and we seemed to hit it off, and when we spoke on the phone there seemed to be potential so we made plans to get together last night. I'd had qualms when he wouldn't send another photo, as he only had one on his profile, and it looked a bit young for a 40 year old…but I figured I'd wait and see, and anticipated maybe a weight gain and some hair thinning. Once again, I waited patiently for my date, and the man who walked up was NOT the one in the photo. Instead of a 6' tall man with big brown eyes, brown hair and a bit of a baby face for 40, I was approached by someone who was 5'8" at the most, blond, balding (a lot), blue eyes, looked 45 if he was a day and just clearly was NOT the person in the photo. He was polite and attractive in his own right, as well as fit, so I'm utterly at a loss as to why he didn't use his own photo. The only thing that I can think is that he's married, and that he's definitely lying about his age.  He also talked about how he's  house sitting for friends in Richmond and can't wait to get back into the market, but that he also travels a lot and often spends a week or two in Calgary – none of this was mentioned prior to meeting face to face…coincidence? I think not.

It seemed to me that both of these men were trawling online for quick fun, using all of the buzzwords that they thought would get them somewhere with a local gal and not get them into any trouble. Am I crazy? I've heard of men who have multiple girlfriends, the proverbial girl in every port…but I think I'm finally starting to see the modern development of it…


What's a girl to do?!

No comments:

Post a Comment